Vinegar Allergy

Vinegar Allergy

Dating back centuries ago and until now, vinegar has been used as a preservative or as an acid for cooking and was also used to treat different ailments. It is made with the help of microorganisms that ferment sugars and convert them into acetic acid and comes in different types such as apple cider, balsamic, beer, cane, coconut, East Asian black, date, honey, fruit, kiwifruit, Job’s tears, malt, kombucha, raisin, palm, rice, and wine.


Today, it is still well-known for its numerous benefits apart from being added to condiments and food for flavoring. That being said, vinegar is not only used as food and drink additive, it can also significantly benefit to your health. We have to keep in mind though, that some people may not find it similarly beneficial to health because it causes allergic reaction upon ingestion.


Vinegar allergy is not very common but some people still have it. It usually happens when there’s too much vinegar in your body or it’s out of control. Though the mechanism of developing allergy to vinegar is the same as other allergies, it is still best to consult your doctor to get the right diagnosis.


Signs and Symptoms


Initial symptoms of vinegar allergy are headaches and migraines, sneezing, itchy eyes and nose, heartburn, vomiting, sore throat, runny nose, wheezing, coughing, fatigue, nasal congestion, constipation, skin rash, diarrhea, and a white coated tongue.


In severe cases, it can cause angioedema (swelling of the skin or mucous membranes), difficulty of breathing, or anaphylactic shock (life-threatening allergic reaction).


These symptoms occur minutes to hours after ingestion of vinegar but may have delayed reaction for some people.


Management and Prevention


  • Avoid consuming foods that cause allergic reactions.
  • Read food and drink labels.
  • Caution against food that are high in vinegar content such as soy sauce, dried fruit, tomato paste, beer, wine, and bread.
  • Be careful when eating in restaurants. Remind the cook or waiter not to put vinegar in your dish or ask them if they have placed some amount of it before food is served.
  • Plan meals and snacks before leaving home.
  • In case of severe reactions, immediately seek medical attention.
  • Consult your doctor for proper treatment and diagnosis.


Although home remedies and over-the-counter medicines are readily available, it is always best to talk to your doctor so you can undergo labs and tests since symptoms for vinegar allergy resemble that of other allergies. This will also help them give the right medications and prevent further reaction or complications.





This material is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease and should not be relied as  medical advice. Always consult your doctor before taking any medication or supplements.



leave a comment

Create Account

Log In Your Account